The Newton Youth Soccer BAYS program depends on volunteer coaches in order to be able to run its program. Therefore, we thank all of you for offering to coach this season. As you prepare for the upcoming season, here are a few things to be thinking about:
1) Other Parent Coaches - If you have any parents who are planning to help coach your team but are not listed on the roster that was emailed to you, please let your Age Group Coordinator and me know because we need to add them to our emailing list in Blue Sombrero. Also, please be sure to forward this along to them so that they can take care of all of these items too.
2) Practice Field/Time Requests - Near the end of August, you will be asked to request practice days/times/locations -- in order to do this, you will need to check with your players about best days/times for practices -- in general, all teams should practice 2 times per week -- for U9 and U10 sessions should be no longer than 75 minutes; U11, U12, and U14 sessions should be between 75 and 90 minutes.
3) Taylor Twellman Camp
4) Coaches Card -
- During the last week in August (26th - 29th), NYS will be sponsoring the Taylor Twellman soccer camp. This camp, which will be held at Weeks field from 9 am - 2 pm is a great opportunity for your players to begin training for the upcoming season. NYS encourages all teams to consider participating in this camp. If you get a large enough cohort of players from your team, let us know, and we will be sure that they train together during the week. For details, go to this site
Be sure that you have an updated US Youth Soccer Coaches' Card. These cards are computer-printed and have the registrar's stamp on it. In addition, your card should have a BAYS sticker for the current year. If you need a new Coaches' card, please contact your Age Group Coordinator
- Be sure that you have updated your personal information with Mass Youth Soccer for the CORI process. In order to do this, please contact your Age Group Coordinator
, or the NYS Registrar
6) Concussion training
-- All coaches are required by BAYS and Newton Youth Soccer to complete an on-line concussion training course. Once you have completed the course, you will need to save a copy of the certificate and e-mail to NYS registrar Deborah Avant (firstname.lastname@example.org
). The course takes about 20-30 minutes and includes some helpful information for coaches. To access the course, please go to this link
. This is required of all head coaches and assistant coaches. You can also download this Coaches Fact sheet
or Coaches clipboard sheet
for more information.
7) Team Meeting
-- Prior to the first game of the season, NYS encourages all coaches to hold a parent/player meeting to discuss expectations for the upcoming season. For a sample of topics to be discussed, please go here
8) Equipment needs
-- For the upcoming season, all BAYS teams should have the following list of equipment: 20-25 disc cones, a set of pinnies (2 colors) -- one for each player on team, 3 ice packs, 2 game balls, and a pair of goalkeeper gloves. If you need any of this equipment, please contact your Age Group Coordinator
9) BAYS Game Rosters
-- For each BAYS game, coaches need to bring 2 copies of your MYSA approved roster. These rosters will be generated and distributed by the NYS Registrar prior to the first game.
10) BAYS Games schedules
-- The Fall 2013 BAYS spring game schedule begins on September 7th and runs thru November 9th. To access the schedule of your specific team, go the this link
and click on your team name.
11) Practice Field Requests
-- By the end of August, all coaches will be asked to submit practice field/time requests for the upcoming season. At this time, you should probably contact players on your team in order to determine the best days to schedule practices for the upcoming season.
12) Tournaments -
Newton Youth Soccer encourages its teams to participate in a Columbus Day and Memorial Day Weekend tournament. These tournaments offer an opportunity for your players to share a great bonding experience and for your teams to develop great cohesion on the field. If you expect to be short players during that weekend, please contact your Age Group Coordinator
to see if your team can join with another team in your age group to participate. Here are some tournaments that NYS teams have participated in:
13) President's Cup - Spring 2014 - For non MTOC-eligible teams (U14 & U12 - Division 3 or U11 - Division 2 & 3), you can decide to participate in the President's Cup offered by BAYS. For details about this tournament, please go to this link.